Allie - Part 3




Allie: Part 3 

By Marshall Bauer|Unaccompanied Youth  

Everything has been going smoothly for Allie as of late.


“School is going very well,” Allie said. “My plan is to graduate early.”
 

Allie is almost done with her English, economics, and work skills classes, and after that all she has left is two math classes.


She said she doesn’t know the exact date she will graduate, but Allie hopes it will be in the next two to three weeks.  


“Graduation should be pretty fun,” Allie said. “I’ve got family members coming out, so I’m excited to see them, and I’m excited to be like, ‘yea, I did it’.” 


Allie said she loves working at Hy-Vee. 


“I love it. I actually love working there,” she said. “I’ve had so many jobs, and the people are great. I find it to be a really good work place. Everyone’s really understanding and laid back about things.”


Allie’s been told that a promotion may be in her near future. 


“They just recently checker trained me, and that’s actually when someone brought up the trainer position,” she said.


Allie discussed some of the hard times she had, which included horrible grades early in this school year and a meeting with the principal and superintendent, leading her to transfer to the Alternative Learning Center. 


Going to the Alternative Learning Center allowed her to graduate early, while working at her own pace, and she will still get the same diploma.


“Ever since around January or February, it’s been smooth sailing, and I’ve finally made these big decisions and I’m really proud of them,” Allie said. 


Allie said that if she gets a raise and promotion from her job at Hy-Vee, she plans on staying around Winona for a little while. If she stays, she plans on looking for jobs in Colorado in the meantime and then if she gets a job offer that pays as much or more, then she’ll move. 


This is a slight change in her original plan, which was to just move to Colorado almost immediately after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment