Matt Hanson Q & A

Unaccompanied Youth caught up with Matt Hanson, an outreach worker with Evergreen Youth and Family Services in Bemidji, Minn., and had a Q & A. 

Here are his responses, and huge thank you to Matt for participating. 

Unaccompanied Youth: What kind of work do you do for unaccompanied youth?

Matt Hanson: As an Outreach Worker, I do whatever I can to help advocate for the youth who I get the opportunity to talk to.  Since my program doesn’t have an intake process or structured case management format, it is all about what the youth wants/needs on their terms at that time.

Sometimes that looks like helping them with diapers or food or maybe finding out about available shelters in the area.  Other times it’s helping them come up with a plan to find work, get back into school, or learn about area services (including others from our organization) that might be able to help them. 

What I want most out of every interaction is for them to feel like they were heard.



Unaccompanied Youth: How do you help unaccompanied youth change their lives around?

Matt Hanson: That’s a pretty subjective question, but I think I understand what you mean by it.  Just as no two people (even in the same household) have the same life experiences that shape them, no youth have the same story or life-changing circumstances when they come through my doors.  That said, no work to support them or the eventual “success” looks the same as well. 

As I said above, being heard…truly listened to is a gift many have not received.  That kind of openness and trust is earned carefully and cautiously – especially with those who have been victimized or through a lot of trauma. That in itself is a huge success in my book. Sometimes seeing those youth come back and still be ALIVE is a miracle. They are the true survivors that I need to learn from. Meeting them on their terms is the start of that lesson.

Honestly, I go into each year saying that I am looking for one “success”. A single, knowable, life-changing moment with just one youth during my 365 day job is what it takes to make it worthwhile. Are there more than this that I see? Absolutely. There are also many that I do not see and may not ever see come to fruition many years down the road, but that’s not what my work is about.  I also see so many things that look like failure, but actually turn out to be the tipping point that leads to life change.  I am there for them regardless.

Unaccompanied Youth: What do you see the unaccompanied youth struggle with the most?

Matt Hanson: There is a far-too-common held idea that if the homeless just had a place to live or a job, they would be set. The reality is that many of the youth I serve find places to live (albeit unsafe), do not starve (although it’s a poor diet), and have some sort of income (often illegally gained). Homeless/couch-hopping youth in Northern Minnesota find a way to survive by any means necessary, because anything less is death by the elements.  They are survivors.

If I had to list the most common barriers, they would be as such:
-       Lack of safe, affordable housing
-       No living wage employment
-       Unreliable transportation
-       Alcohol/Substance issues
-       Mental health (undiagnosed or unregulated)
-       Pregnant/parenting
-       No positive support


Unaccompanied Youth: On average, how many unaccompanied youth do you see/help/work with in one year?

Matt Hanson: My outreach program served 563 different youth (age 21 and under) last year.


Unaccompanied Youth: What is the biggest struggle you have found when working with unaccompanied youth?

Matt Hanson: I might be an anomaly, but I have never struggled to work with youth – whether it was finding them, relating to them, or sorting through what they have going on.  That being said, the work is not easy.  It’s stressful, frustrating and heart-breaking work, but it’s also incredibly rewarding, hilarious, and I wouldn’t trade the experiences for the world.

My biggest struggles have been in regards to staffing, funding, and the various time constraints that come with a non-profit that is dependent on grants. 

Unaccompanied Youth:  On average, do more unaccompanied youth struggle or thrive?

Matt Hanson: That is really unquantifiable, but I would say instead that they survive. Whether survival is struggling or thriving, that’s totally relative and a matter of perspective.  If you know anything about Maslow’s hierarchy of need, it’s very difficult to achieve any level above the one you’re on if you have unfulfilled needs. Many of the youth I work with have very few basic needs being safely and consistently met.




Unaccompanied Youth: In what ways are unaccompanied youth better off?

Matt Hanson: Mankind was not meant to be alone, nor youth apart from their families.  That said, in situations where a youth flees his “home” (I use that term loosely) as a result of abuse, neglect, etc. it is essential to their survival. 

Unaccompanied Youth: Anything else you would like to add?

Matt Hanson: Sure. Thanks for the opportunity to speak about a subculture that is not only close to my heart, but an intricate piece of our communities - whether we acknowledge them or not. 

I’d also like to challenge everyone to take a step back and examine how you view those around you. There are a lot of preconceived notions about who the homeless are and what has gotten them to where they are. Very few of the thousands of youth I have served over the years have chosen to couch hop or be homeless. Many of us do not realize how blessed we are for having been given simple advantages through our families, finances, circumstances etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment